Looking for a definition for a '92 L35 CPI 4.3

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Numbchux

Looking for a definition for a '92 L35 CPI 4.3

Post by Numbchux »

I have a Toyota 4Runner with a '92 S10 Blazer engine and transmission (L35 CPI/4L60) in it. I've got it running, but am having some intermittent running issues, and I thought the TunerPro data acquisition and datalogging features might be extremely beneficial.

So I got my USB TTL Serial cord yesterday, wired it into my ECU (data and ground to TX/RX and ground respectively), got the drivers installed, installed TunerPro RT (I haven't registered, but I absolutely will if I can get it to communicate).

Started playing around with it, and THEN I realized there isn't a definition file listed for my vehicle. 88-91 S-10s, and '94-95. DOH.

I've done datalogging and tuning with full-blown standalone and piggyback ECU systems with their proprietary software (GEMS, Link, RallyTek, etc.), but this open source stuff with definition files and such is a bit over my head.

My understanding, is since I'm not trying to tune at all, I should be able to just find and load the correct .adx definition file, and view/log live data. Right?

I have tried every file associated with the 4.3, or similar year trucks. No dice. I found a post saying that the 0d might work, no dice.

for the record, I have a 16156647 ECU. Silver one, behind the passenger side of the dash.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

The XDF for that vehicle is $D5 and can be found here:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... #post20576

But the ADX file needed is A178.ads/ds and has never been built.

ALDL.ds file can be found here to build the adx file:
http://www.gearhead-efi.com/gearhead-efi/def/aldl/
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Thanks Robert, don't know why that's not on my list?
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
Numbchux

Post by Numbchux »

Thank you so much!

So, do the definition files effect the cable recognition? After I posted this, I realized I had overlooked the "test for valid interface" button.....which failed. So I think I have a hardware issue.

I'll go try again with the correct .xdf file loaded, and if that doesn't work, I'll assume that I have a hardware issue.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

XDF is not required for datalogging.

cable test only works if connected to the computer, but not the car. even then, it's not always an end-all test. correct ADS/ADX isn't required for this test either.
Numbchux

Post by Numbchux »

robertisaar wrote:XDF is not required for datalogging.

cable test only works if connected to the computer, but not the car. even then, it's not always an end-all test. correct ADS/ADX isn't required for this test either.
Alright, good to know. Thanks again!
Numbchux

Post by Numbchux »

Alright, after many attempts with my generic USB-serial adapter, I was not able to get it to work.

So I bought a bare-pin cable from ALDLcable.com. Wired it up, loaded the definitions listed here, and it worked immediately!

Now my 1987 Toyota has a USB cable hanging out of the glovebox.

Which can be used to make this:

And, for those that are curious. Here's the rig I'm working on: