Tuning VANOS on 506/413

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

evilm3666

Tuning VANOS on 506/413

Post by evilm3666 »

Hi,
Has any one had any luck tuning VANOS on the 506/413 ecu? I know there are a lot of discovered tables, but I can`t seem to find one that changes the on/off point.
Thanks
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

it is included in there, I did some experiments and was able to tune when the vanos comes on and off
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

As i know, vanos is in continuous move, there is no on off state,
but also i have been trying to tune the vanos with no luck.

RevLimit, could you please explain how vanos tables work ?
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

Update to the info posted earlier : only double vanos and above became continues move, but single vanos was ON/OFF

M50tu = Single VANOS (on/off) - 1 solenoid I/O
M52 = Single VANOS (on/off) - 1 solenoid I/O
M52tu = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 2 solenoid pwm
M54 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 2 solenoid pwm
N52 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 2 solenoid pwm
("M" Engine)
S50 = Single VANOS (Infinitely variable) 1992-1994 not in u.s - 2 solenoid pwm
S50 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) 1995-1998 not in u.s - 4 solenoid pwm
S52 = Single VANOS (on/off) 1996-1998 u.s - 1 solenoid I/O
S54 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 4 solenoid pwm
8cyl.
M62tu = Single VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 2 solenoid pwm
N62 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 4 solenoid pwm
("M" engine)
S62 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 8 solenoid pwm + 1 pwm solenoid pressure regulator
S85 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 4 solenoid pwm + 1 pwm pressure regulator
12cyl.
N73 = Double VANOS (Infinitely variable) - 4 solenoid pwm
revlimit

Post by revlimit »

in my XDF 506 it is in VANOS section, two maps one for low octane fuel other one for high octane fuel, 1x16 maps. Value 255 means actuator is OFF, and value 110 means the actuator is on.

For the low octane the vanos is turned off at 3600 rpm

for the high octane vanos is turned off at 4000 rpm

aprox

I used my ostrich2 and did some tests on it and it works
evilm3666

Post by evilm3666 »

Revlimit is right.
I picked up 30hp in the midrange on a turbo m3 by changing those tables.
bradyzq

Post by bradyzq »

Hi All,

Thought I'd add to this thread since my questions/comments are exactly topical to it....

Using the red label 623 XDF and bin as a starting point for a red label ECU. I am unable to to vanos to switch where I want it to. It appears that it turns on (advances) again at about 6080RPM. I can't seem to get it it switch at all really. By the dyno graph it looks like something is happening at 3280RPM, which makes sense, but, again, I seem to have no control over it.

I am using an Ostrich2 and can see the active tables, so in theory I know which table to modify under any conditions.

Since it is an on/off solenoid, why are the numbers populating the table not all 110's or 255's?

What are the "advanced" and retarded" tables for Part and Wide-Open throttle? Should this perhaps be relabelled as high and low octance tables? Otherwise, I can't see nor understand the need for advanced and retarded tables for a single switched VANOS.

Thanks!

-Brady
Last edited by bradyzq on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
evilm3666

Post by evilm3666 »

The vanos on the 413 ecu # 623 chip is turning off(retarded) by about 4560rpm. The vanos is load and rpm based. The numbers in the min load and max load tables are a raw value. If you want the vanos to turn off at say 3000 change that break point to 240 in the Vanos, MIN Load for advance table. The part throttle and full throttle fuel and ignition tables are not high and low octane. They are vanos advanced and retarded. Change your vanos settings to keep it advanced or retarded and see what tables the data trace are active on you will see what I mean. Watch this video https://www.millerperformancecars.com/i ... play&id=21
If you have more questions pm me.
bradyzq

Post by bradyzq »

evilm3666 wrote:The vanos on the 413 ecu # 623 chip is turning off(retarded) by about 4560rpm. The vanos is load and rpm based. The numbers in the min load and max load tables are a raw value. If you want the vanos to turn off at say 3000 change that break point to 240 in the Vanos, MIN Load for advance table. The part throttle and full throttle fuel and ignition tables are not high and low octane. They are vanos advanced and retarded. Change your vanos settings to keep it advanced or retarded and see what tables the data trace are active on you will see what I mean. Watch this video https://www.millerperformancecars.com/i ... play&id=21
If you have more questions pm me.
Thanks for replying.

I can't open the vid. If it's Brody talking about VANOS tuning, I've seen it on youtube.

I am not talking about the fuel and ignition tables. I understand that there should be fuel tables and ignition tables for both advanced and retarded VANOS positions.

What I was asking about (though maybe not clearly) was the actual VANOS camshaft control tables. There is one labelled advanced and one labelled retarded for both PT and WOT. What does retarded or advanced mean here, since each table is supposed to by switching between advanced and retarded? These are the tables I was wondering about, thinking maybe in this case advanced and retarded might really be high and low octane, or knocking and not-knocking, as revlimit suggested.

In any case, they do not seem to be the ones that actually trigger VANOS switchovers, at least for me.

This leaves the min load for advance and max load for retard tables. Which I only kind of understand. Or maybe some undiscovered tables.

If I set the entire "max load for retard" table to 255, and the entire "min load for advance" table to 0, would the VANOS control follow only the PT or WOT tables with no other conditions attached? The car is off the dyno today, but I will try this if you can confirm that I understand this correctly.

Cheers,
Brady
evilm3666

Post by evilm3666 »

Yes those tables you are talking about don`t seem to get changed much.
I would think you would be advanced pt and wot. I never tried changing it and viewing the pt. I just ran it wot retarded and then advanced on the dyno and set my retarded/off rpm based on that. But I would think thoses tables will apply to pt and wot.
hussain

Post by hussain »

Here you go guys.

The thread.
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... anos-works

The video explains how dose it work.

http://www.euroautotraining.com/how-exa ... vanos-work

It's advances and retarded due to engine load.
Boost makes me happy......
olafu

Post by olafu »

Hi!
I did some research with those -413 623 vanos actuator dwell tables. I think they have nothing to do with vanos control: I filled experimentally all four tables first with 0, then 128 and finally 255 - nothing changes in vanos control, but they have something to do with throttle response. With 0 in all cells engine stuttering when pressing throttle rapidly. With 255 throttle response is sharp, but i don't actually know what is the real function of those tables. Something vanos position related correction tables for something?

I'm trying to get vanos in advanced position when engine has some load, and over 2000rpm. In case the throttle is released (no load) and rpm's falling under 3000, vanos should be go to retard position. This is only to do some smoother idle with aggressive cam setup, cams are timed to get good power band in vanos advanced position.

It works now as i described, but when i release throttle full off (example while braking, shifting is so quick so it's not a problem), vanos gets immediately de-energized and it starts move to retard position. Altough vanos is energized again when i press gas pedal, it has delay to move back to advanced position. So i want it to stay in advanced position while braking, no move, no delay. :D