problems with tunerpro RT or with the way i'm using it?

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

evilminds

problems with tunerpro RT or with the way i'm using it?

Post by evilminds »

heres my details:
1991 Camaro L03 5.0 TBI
ECM 1228746 ANTT

I've got the Bin from the chip using my eprom burner (no problem there)
since i didn't want to spend any money on something that wouldn't work for me i thought i would try the 2 transistor version of the ALDL interface cable first..so either tuner pro RT doesn't work with this interface cable or i'm doing something wrong?

The car needed a new cam installed but the roller cam and lifters was just to much for me, so i did away with the roller setup and went with flat tappet lifters and cam, and 7.8" push rods.

the car runs but AFR is way off, i can go thru a gallon of gas just letting it run for about 15 min or so. plugs are carbon fouled also..anyway
timing for the roller cam setup was 0 degrees in the ecm and the distibuter..of course the new cam should be 8 BTC..so i was able to use the program to change this in the eprom....however when trying to hook up the ALDL from tuner pro RT i get nothing from my car...

Does the program not work with the 2 transistor version of the interface cable??

Someone please enlighten me ..and yes i'm new to this kinda stuff :-)
honken

Post by honken »

Do you have the ads file for your ecm ?

http://www.moates.net/fileman/index.php ... efinitions
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

yeah i tried both of those... no luck

get the following error when i try to record a new session also.. error creating log file.

thanks for the reply..any other thoughts on this??
honken

Post by honken »

In tool/preferences/ALDL/Emulation you set the interfacetyp to MAX232/
2-trans/AP and the comport you have the cable on.
You can test the cable here to if it works or not.
RT is working with the 2-trans cable
You most create a logfil to rec.
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

yep got all that setup right but theres no data being sent to the computer either with or without the motor running

I'm assuming the following is because there is no data being sent>>>..as soon as i hit the record button it pops up a screen that say's "error creating log file"... one other thing i noticed too is if i disconnect my cable and hit connect it says ALDL: connected at the bottom of the program....and says the same thing with or without the cable hooked up same background color also..strange? could there be a problem with the ads file i'm using? 1228746-160baud.ads in the ALDL commands quick send window it says "160 Baud - No Command" i'm hooked into the 160 baud pin E on the ALDL... i've even tried pin M for curiousity just to see if something different would happen,no change tho.

I downloaded several other programs that say they work with this setup also..none of them work either...i've even took my home computer out to the garage to see if it was puter problem and i get the same thing,,no data

I've downloaded the bin file for the ANTT from the net to compare with the eprom data i pulled off it and both files are complete match.. so that at least rules out someone tampering with the code before i got the car..and comfirms the data i pulled off the chip as good also :-)

Is there a real quick way of testing the com ports on the computer..i thought i had a serial mouse here somewhere but then i realised that the cat chewed up the cable long time ago..so in the trash it went....so aside from plugging a mouse or similier device into the port is there an alternet method of testing it??

thanks guys i really do appreciate you fella's taking the time to try and help me.

Rick
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

ok i found this to try and comfirm my com ports are working..http://www.pc-doctor.com/support/loopback.htm i'll test them and get back here with my findings asap
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

yep ports working great did the loopback test and used hyperterminal to verify they were good and working..so i guess if everyones says that the 2 transistor interface definetly works with the program and if the files i'm using with it are in order not corrupted or anything..then the ECM is screwed up??
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

ok i've eliminated the ECM as the problem..so i have one other question

Could someone walk me thru the process of hooking the vehicle up to the computer,,by that i mean do i hook up the ALDL cable to the car first and then start the car..or do i start the car and then hook up all the cables..or do i even need the car started at all??

The problem has to be in the way i'm doing the hookup or something.
honken

Post by honken »

You connect the cable with key off and computer off and then start computer.
Start aldl with the key on.

You need mangus on this if its not working.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The "Error creating log file" is as Honken says - you need to FIRST select the file to log to.

But before you can record anything, you need to be able to get data from the vehicle. For that, attach the PC to your car, turn the key on (engine off or on, doesn't matter). Open TunerPro and select the proper ADS file (if not already selected). Choose "Connect" in the Tools->ALDL menu or on the toolbar. If you get valid data, you can then hit the record button to record the data that is coming through.

M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

hmm ok i hook up the interface to the vehicle..got that then start the program,, got that and then i hit connect..and then i hit the record button only after i have data coming in. ok i got that ..but i still have no data coming in using the 2 transistor interface..I've checked the wiring over 20 times and checked my circuit more times than i can imagine..it's all wired correctly.

i have noticed one thing in the program that i havnt noticed before until today.

Under actual sample rate(Hz) it will sometimes say 0.50..but not all of time
and it only shows this number if i hit send command and then quickly hit begin monitoring.

If i hit begin monitoring just by itself i don't see that number or any number in that area other than 0.00

Is there a command that i must send or something to tell the computer to start spitting out the data?? also do i need the 10k resistor between term A & B?

and also is ANTT the most current version for my vehicle?
Thanks in advance to all who have replied and to all who will reply :-)

I had to come back and edit this so you wouldn't think i was hiding anything lol
Ok i think or i'm pretty sure from what the fella at summitracing told me .. that i ordered the wrong cam for this engine..however he did say that i could make this cam work by buying a $300 chip..lmao uh yeah ok NOT!!

The cam i ordered was SUM-K1106 yeah big goof on my part... but it was 4 oclock in the morning lol

But that only effects the fouling of the plugs and the rough and no idle problem, doesn't effect the ALDL link which i still havn't gotten to work yet, but i'll figure it out i hope.
So now the big question is what do i need to change in the bin file to get this engine to idle without burning up all my fuel while i try and dial it in, assuming i can get the data to flow after i get it to idle on it's own.
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

woohoo got the ALDL link up and running finally.. i'm too embarrased to say what the problem was but i will say the circuit wasn't the problem lol.. well,, ok i'll say it just in case someone else has this problem somewhere down the line..one of the wires i used to run to the car was bad,, mainly the data wire..and that was the only thing i didn't check.until just now :-) so i'll be getting some data here very shortly.. have to take these fouled out plugs back in for an exchange..but i'll have to wait till a ride gets here first.

On another note i waited until data was coming thru to the computer and hit the record button. and the same error popped up "error creating log file". so now my question is how do i create a log session,, the program won't let me create one,,and i don't have one that i can over right or anything so what now?? :?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hit F4, select a file to log to in the window that pops up, then hit record. This is outlines in the help file.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
honken

Post by honken »

As mangus say F4/select log file for rec/play.
You need to enter a name in filename then hit open.
Now you can rec.
evilminds

Post by evilminds »

oh ok now i got it..dumb ass me when the window popped up i was looking for an adl file lol

ok i let this motor run till it ran out of gas...went thru about 1 gallon in less than 15 mins,,I was running winaldl to get the BLM table, INT table , or any other table that it would grab....theres not alot of data because it ran out gas before it could start logging everything i guess,,the chart makes no sense to me....i know this thing is running rich by the exhaust and the intoxicating fumes..but the BLM doesn't look like its running that rich..... anyone care to take a look??

Just when i thought i had a grasp on this->>>>BLM.Map\128xVE
I find that theres an VE - Adder Fuel Table #2 Volumetric Effeciency %

So whats the formula for this since theres to tables and not one?

I'm getting there slowly but i will get there none the less hehe
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Now its time for you to post your questions on the www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-prom/ message boards.

You should start by changing your injector constant to match the injectors you have installed.

Search the aforementioned forum on your questions, then post your questions there. You should get much better help there!
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am