Looking for Mercruiser GM 7.4 MPI XDF File please

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

jezzb

Looking for Mercruiser GM 7.4 MPI XDF File please

Post by jezzb »

Hello,

I am looking for the XDF file for my Mercruiser GM 7.4 MPI XDF File please.

Any help is much appreciated.

All the best
Jezz
cbernhardt

Re: Looking for Mercruiser GM 7.4 MPI XDF File please

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:Hello,
I am looking for the XDF file for my Mercruiser GM 7.4 MPI XDF File please.
Any help is much appreciated.
All the best
Jezz
Doe your Mercruiser use an MEFI (Marine Electronic Fuel Injection) controller?
If so, do you know if it is MEFI3, MEFI4a, MEFI4b???

Charles
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Hello Charles and thank you for your reply.

Yes, my MERCRUISER has a MEFI 3 Controller.

I did by a wire and Mefiscan software but the file I git with the CD only works with Scanner Pro.

Kind regards
Jezzb
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:Hello Charles and thank you for your reply.
Yes, my MERCRUISER has a MEFI 3 Controller.
I did by a wire and Mefiscan software but the file I git with the CD only works with Scanner Pro.
Kind regards
Jezzb
I have the Mefiscan software package for use on a GM Ram Jet 350 engine. The early Ram Jet engines used the MEFI3 controller and I updated mine to MEFI4a.

Did you get the complete software package or just the scanning application? The complete package should allow scanning (with Scanner Pro), tuning (with Tuner Pro) and burning ( MEFI Burn). I know the guys at Mefiscan work on a lot of boats so I assume their package should work with the Mercruiser.

Charles
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Hi Charles,

I bought the MEFIScan package and I was told by Bob at ODB (from where I bought that software & cable) that it works win ScannerPro.

ScannerPro is giving me errors when I connect on intermittant basis so I thought of trying Tunerpro.

Did you by any chance try Diacom's solution or know if it is good?

Thanks, Jezzb
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:Hi Charles,
I bought the MEFIScan package and I was told by Bob at ODB (from where I bought that software & cable) that it works win ScannerPro.
ScannerPro is giving me errors when I connect on intermittant basis so I thought of trying Tunerpro.
Did you by any chance try Diacom's solution or know if it is good?
Thanks, Jezzb
I occasionally have problems with Scanner Pro not connecting or connecting then hanging, but usually I can hit the Connect/Disconnect button a few times and everything works fine.
Do you have your data cable routed over/near any ignition components?

I have not tried Diacom.

Charles
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Yes - the USB cable runs over the distributor cap ... Good point .. maybe it is causing a problem. Will try to keep it away from the area.

You are using Scannerpro as well?

Regards
Jezzb
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:Yes - the USB cable runs over the distributor cap ... Good point .. maybe it is causing a problem. Will try to keep it away from the area.
You are using Scannerpro as well?
Regards
Jezzb
I initially had my data cable running over a plug wire and would get some data glitches.
I am using TunerPro, ScannerPro, and the MefiBurn to reprogram my controller.

Charles
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Hi Charles, from where did you buy the Mefi Burn software. I want to get a copy.

Thanks, Jezzb
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:Hi Charles, from where did you buy the Mefi Burn software. I want to get a copy.
Thanks, Jezzb
The MefiBurn software is from OBD Diagnostics, talk to Bob.
Was the cable you bought from him a USB or serial? My reason for asking is that you will need their USB cable for use with the MefiBurn software. The MeifBurn software is "run protected" by requiring their USB cable, but you can use it on any MEFI system. In other words, you are not forced into having to purchase a separate "license" for use on another MEFI controller.

Charles
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

Hi Charles, I bought my cable from Bob as well. I have a USB cable and bob told me that I will need a new cable if I but the Burn package, but I found it a bit too expensive - another $400 or so for the burn packaage upgrade. A bit too much for my pcoket.

Regards
Jezzb
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:Hi Charles, I bought my cable from Bob as well. I have a USB cable and bob told me that I will need a new cable if I but the Burn package, but I found it a bit too expensive - another $400 or so for the burn packaage upgrade. A bit too much for my pcoket.
Regards
Jezzb
Well, I can't help you on the price, but I can tell you that the OBD package was the least expensive one that I could find that did the job that I wanted. Both MSD and Arizona Speed and Marine sell MEFI software but theirs is almost twice the price and also locked into one controller. Another thing that I liked about the OBD software was that I was able to "unlock" the original tune in the Ram Jet and start with that rather than starting with a tune of unknown origin. Don't know if they have the Merc password though.

Charles
jezzb

Post by jezzb »

So, if I buy the software from BOB, I would need the Merc password as well or not?

Thanks, Jezz
cbernhardt

Post by cbernhardt »

jezzb wrote:So, if I buy the software from BOB, I would need the Merc password as well or not?
Thanks, Jezz
More than likely the Merc is password protected. If you do not have the password you will have to start with a new tune and overwrite the one that is in there now. Ask Bob, they work on a lot of boats, so he may have a password or a tune that you can use to start with.

Charles