91 Chevy Suburban BCC and ECM questions

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Cuervo

91 Chevy Suburban BCC and ECM questions

Post by Cuervo »

Hello all,

I have a 91 Chevy Suburban with ECM 16154461 and BCC AWBP.

I've search high and low on all the sites I could find but I cannot find any listing for my numbers. Is this normal?

Could someone offer me information on this code and possible a place to get the files I need to run TunerPro on my laptop? I have tuner pro but I believe I need a few other files to make it work. I'm still learning that piece of the puzzel.

Thanks,
Tim
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I can't get into specifics for your application, but I will help as I can.

You are correct, you do need definition file to use with TP RT, to be able to look at the bin file and to datalog.

You need an XDF to use with TP RT to look at the bin and adjust the bin. the XDF contains all the addresses, and parameters to the those addresse so that the information in the bin file can be read and looked at in a more easily read and adjusted manner. Not too many people can think in HEX. ;) :lol:

You will also need an ADS file for the datastream definition to datalog. This deciphers the datastream that is being spit out of the ALDL connector to display in units and status flags that we can understand.

Have you tried look at moates.net fileman? There is a lot of files there, and a few may be of use to you.

If there are no already made files for you, you can make them. It is a bit of a daunting task, and requires the understanding of what is being said in commented dissassemblies of the bin files. Hopefully there is at least the commented disassembly for you.

The information for the ADS file, if one doesn't exist will be contained in a file called "ALDL STUFF". I believe that's the name, it's something simular to that anyway. It is a ZIP file and contains AFAIK, every datastream definition information for the GM OBD1 ECMs.

Hopefully someone can give you specific info on your application though. Take a look at moates.net fileman (link in the left nav bar on the main page), and see what you can find there.
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

Thanks Six,

I did find the "stuffs" file and at least it list my general application in there.

The A138.DS file is for my 5.7/4l80e combonation. I now understand that my ECM is a 8192 bi-directional that is read from the M not the E pin. I received my ALDL cable yesterday and can get my laptop to see it on the 9600 baud setting.

Of not, from the DS file, my ECM...

ECM OVERVIEW
------------
This ECM is a slave on a masterless ALDL. In other words, there is
no traffic on the ALDL, so when the tester is connected to
the ALDL it must initiate communications with the ECM rather than
waiting for the F0 poll.

I guess I need to learn how to write an ADS file to even get started. Is there location that talks about these files? I've look at completed ADS files and the .DS file but I'm gonna need something more of a walk through to understand them.

Thanks for the responce.

My current project is an HT383 craft motor with a honed out 5.7 TBI running 7.4 injectors with an upgraded pump, hedman headers, GM TBI vortec intake, and a chip from Brain. I'm trying to get the logging working before I install the motor.

Again, thanks for helping a rookie.
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

Six_Shooter wrote: You need an XDF to use with TP RT to look at the bin and adjust the bin. the XDF contains all the addresses, and parameters to the those addresse so that the information in the bin file can be read and looked at in a more easily read and adjusted manner. Not too many people can think in HEX. ;) :lol:

If there are no already made files for you, you can make them. It is a bit of a daunting task, and requires the understanding of what is being said in commented dissassemblies of the bin files. Hopefully there is at least the commented disassembly for you.

Hopefully someone can give you specific info on your application though. Take a look at moates.net fileman (link in the left nav bar on the main page), and see what you can find there.
I look through the stuff on moates but I'm still lost as how to build an xdf file. I found the 138DS file.

Is there an sample of how to take the data in the DS file and put into an xdf file.

My BCC is AWBP and I can not find a commented bin file on it. In fact I can not find anything on that code, anywhere.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You can't make an .XDF from a .DS File.

the .DS file is a datastream definition, used to make an ADS (or ADX, as used in Scanner Pro), file.

You need a "disassembly" file to make an .XDF file. This type of file will define where the tables are in the bin file.
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

Six_Shooter wrote:You can't make an .XDF from a .DS File.

the .DS file is a datastream definition, used to make an ADS (or ADX, as used in Scanner Pro), file.

You need a "disassembly" file to make an .XDF file. This type of file will define where the tables are in the bin file.

I see. I think I found a line on a stock AWBP bin that has been dissassembled. I have also been told the $85 is pretty close to what I need.

I loaded up a 138 ads and the $85 and got some output to TunerPro but I really need to learn what I'm looking at then figure out how to code it or I'm just looking into space.

How do you extract a bin file from a chip?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

You need a programmer to read the EPROM. If it's a full MEMCAL that the EPROM is mounted to. (should be, but I still know what service number your ECM is), you can get an adaptor from moates.net to allow reading of the stock EPROM, without desoldring it from the MEMCAL. The adaptor is well worth the $10. HDR1 I think is the part number.
Cuervo

Post by Cuervo »

Six_Shooter wrote:You need a programmer to read the EPROM. If it's a full MEMCAL that the EPROM is mounted to. (should be, but I still know what service number your ECM is), you can get an adaptor from moates.net to allow reading of the stock EPROM, without desoldring it from the MEMCAL. The adaptor is well worth the $10. HDR1 I think is the part number.
Well, it appears my ECM has been changed at least twice that I now know of. The numbers that are on the new one don't match anything I've seen. And the old white sticker that is still on the mount is 16154461.