Datastreams other than PCM?

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

JayArr

Datastreams other than PCM?

Post by JayArr »

Hi Guys

I've got a 92 Deville with the ALDL plug, There is also data communications for the air bag system (SIR = Supplementary Inflatable Restraint) and the ABS system.

I've scoured through the factory service manual and found that Cadillac uses a bunch of extra pins on the ALDL.

Pin A - Ground
Pin B - PCM Diag Test
Pin C - CCR Diag Test
Pin E - 160 BAUD Data
Pin K - SIR Diag Request
Pin L - ABS Data Link
Pin M - 8192 SIR/PCM Data Link

The CCR mudule doesn't seem to have a datastream.

The ABS "Datalink" - Pin L- shows as a two way port in the manual, accepting both data input and releasing data output.

The SIR, airbag module has it's own Diagnostic request at pin K and it's datastream is on the same line as the PCM - Pin M, 8192

Can Tunerpro access those datastreams at all?

If I loaded Tunerpro and hooked it up to pin L instead of M and then grounded pin K instead of B would I get the contents of my airbag module? Has anyone tried talking to the ABS module?

I'm just curious about how far I can go with TunerPro.

Jeff
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

with my 95 monte carlo, i've written seperate datastreams for the PCM and the ABS and variable steering subsystems, so yes it is possible, it's just a major PITA to make the ADS or ADX necessary to read it. if i really wanted to, i could grab the airbag stuff as well(as long as there is a DS file to read it from), but i don't see any reason to.
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

Not sure but IIRC the airbag modules keep the last "x" seconds of telemetry and stop FIFO data when the bag is released.
I've heard Law enforcement can access this.
Urban ledgend?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

possible. not sure wether or not it actually does though. you'd probably need to disassemble it and see what all it is capable of. if it is phsically possible, then someone would need to dive into the algorithm and see if it does or not.

of course, there are multiple models of the GM airbag module, so whats true for one vehicle may not be for another.