Complete and utter Newb!

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

FrankZ

Complete and utter Newb!

Post by FrankZ »

Yep, totally ignorant and in dire need of alot of educating.
I've been hunting around trying to find a primer on tuning without much success, so any helpful links are appreciated.

I'm currently completeing a Chevy 5.3L into a Jeep Cherokee conversion and will be working on the harness in the next couple of days. After that it will time to reprogram/tune the PCM and I'm going to be asking alot of very basic questions. Please be patient!:)

A few questions:
Which TunerPro should I be using?
Cable sources or should I build my own?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Look at the DIY PROM forum on thirdgen.org (AKA "TGO"). There is a wealth of information there, and a few stickies with basic to advanced information and links.

I use mostly Moates (moates.net) equipment for my hardware. Ostrich, ALDL Extreme, MEMCAL adaptors, etc. The only thing non-moates is my programmer, just because I will be getting into non-automotive programming soon, so I have one programmer to do both. I may still pick up a BURN2 soon, just to have a smaller programmer in my bag.

I use Tuner Pro RT, this allows connection to the GM ALDL datastream and real time tuning with the use of an EPROM emulator, such as the Ostrich 2.0. TP "free" does not allow ALDL connection nor the real time tuning.

Those really are the two major resources, through those two sites, you can find just about all the informaion you're going to need to tune GM ECMs, and some non GM ones too.
FrankZ

Post by FrankZ »

Hardware?
What hardware?
What do I need besides the PCM, a cable, and TunerPro (RT?) software.
ptote

Post by ptote »

i am also new to this i read your info about 5.3 swap and was curuios how it went because i am going to do the same to a yj and 2 cjs