Need help locating some info.

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Rally Smith

Need help locating some info.

Post by Rally Smith »

I have a 1991 Camaro, 305 TBI, 8747... I think, 61 mask, ANTT chip. I need to data log the thing but I cannot locate matching XDF & ADS files. Can someone please help me out here?

Many Thanks in advance,

RS
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i have both a few XDFs and an ADX i made myself(not sure if it works or not) for $61...
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

My man Robert. I had to roll back to V4 because of problems I was told V5 was having with my slow speed system. Will an ADX work in place of a ADS file? Have you heard anything about the speed issue I mentioned on the V5?

Thanks,

RS
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

possibly, but i don't remember any specifics of it.

you can't use an ADX in V4, if that's what you're thinking. luckily, i still have most of my ADS files, including the $61 ADS.

i'm emailing all of the files i have ATM, including some BINs you may or may not find useful. there seems to have been an update to the ANTT file you have and GM made the AXKT calibration.
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Thank you sir. I will take a peek and see if that does the trick after work tonight. I'll email you and let you know.

Thanks again,

RS
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

O.k. I tried the new files and to no avail. I still cannot get data from my car to my laptop. Any other ideas? This is killing me. It has got to be an easy fix but I'm just not seeing it.

(My files compliment each other now though.)
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ugh.... i hate dealing with the 160baud stuff...

don't suppose you can find anyone else who's gotten it working?
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Well I've asked this question at TGO, FSC also and have gotten no responses from anyone there. Man I guess I can do some more surfing and see what I can find that I didn't see earlier.. Any ideas come to you shoot me an email or just respond on here.

Thanks Robert

RS
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Have you connected to THIS car, with THIS cable, and with THIS laptop before? What setup are you useing ?
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

I have not used this cable with this laptop before. When you say setup, what are you referring to?
Windows 7
8746?
$61 Mask
AXKS or something of that nature
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Currently I use V4 or any 160 baud work, like my boss' '62 Suburban, and at one time a friends '67 Chev C10, but that one has been changed to a later ECM with 8192 baud logging, I think I also had to use V4 for my friends T-Type Regal.

I haven't had time to sit on my test bench long enough with a 160 Baud ECM to figure out how to get it working with V5. I did have it working at one time, but connection seemed intermittant.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Has the cable been tested before with another setup?
Does the laptop have a serial port, or are you useing a usb->rs232 adapter?
Are you connecting to the correct pins on the vehicle?
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

I have used the cable successfully before on an older computer with WINALD. My new lap top only has usb connections. In TP I show it connecting via usbrs232.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

You say you see it connecting, in which way?
There is a program out there that is free, its called hdd free serial monitor, with it you can run it in the background and see any communications flow. That should get you started on finding where things are going wrong.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

what kind of adapter?

model number/specs?
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

I don't have an adapter... it's just the obd1 cable with usb on the end with 4 prongs and a resistor to attach to them.
Here's a link to it. http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd1u
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ahh, that's the one i had before it went wonky... never had the chance to play with 160 baud with it.
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Is there a better one out there I should get?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

IDK.... i make mine, i'm not too fond of the two-transistor setup that cable used.

my suggestion: find/borrow a car with an ECM that's in known working condition and is known for being easy to communicate with(like a 1227727 or 1227730), see if the cable responds positively toward it.
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Does this one require the resistor across pinA->B on the aldl plug to get the data flowing? Sorry ive never talked with the 160 baud stuff, and unfortunatly unless that cable comes up as a rs232 port in device manager you cant use the hdd serial monitor program:( I think they might have usb one, though ive not used it. But it might help ya out with knowing if any data flow is happening.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Only the '165 and possibly one other uncommon ECM require the 10 K resistor, and even then, it may only be needed to access certain datastream bits of information.
Last edited by Six_Shooter on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Well Robert that sounds good in theory but I don't really have any vehicles that I could use to try that...
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

beg/borrow/steal? :lol:
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

So if I understand correctly. I get say another 91 Camaro same setup and try doing the same thing I've been trying to do with mine? Just to see if the cable works on it?

I misspoke. I forgot what you wrote earlier so I kinda went by the seat of my pants on the above.

Any ideas on what vehicles that use those types of ECM's?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

if it has a TPI motor, since that would be a 1227730 and running on $8D, which is as about as documented as they come.
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Man.... what a pain in the butt. I will do some checking and see what happens. Thanks for the info. Again.

RS
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Hey Robert, I tried using the cable with my 95 Truck and had no luck. Does that help at all?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

sounds like either the cable or some settings are wrong/drivers missing or corrupted...
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

Did you test things by running the cable test Without being connected to the pcm?
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

Test things? Umm... I hit the connect ALDL without it being connected and it showed it connecting. If that 's what your asking...
Gizmo

Post by Gizmo »

There should be a test button in where you select the com port. Tools menu, preferences, then look on the aldl tab
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

my suggestion: let's start from the VERY beginning...

uninstall(and delete if possible) whatever drivers you have for the cable, then install these:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20802_Setup.exe

those work from Win2000-Win7

then go through the little setup process as directed.

when the setup is finished, get back into the device manager, see what port the cable was set as, open up tunerpro, go into the preferences and make it match. load up your ADS and try connecting(truck first, since it's worked before IIRC).
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

Gizmo wrote:There should be a test button in where you select the com port. Tools menu, preferences, then look on the aldl tab
that test isn't always accurate... none of my cables pass, but the log perfectly.
Rally Smith

Post by Rally Smith »

10-4 Robert. I'll do it tonight or tomorrow morning and report back.

As usual, thanks.