I need a walk through please...

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

carguy31

I need a walk through please...

Post by carguy31 »

can somebody give me a walk through of what i need to do to tune a 90-95 chevy truck?

I know i need the program, links to what cables and hardware I need and how it's preformed would be great (ie do I just hook into the aldl or do I need to pull the chip and put it in some sort of holder/burner or..?)

thanks!!
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

It can be overwhelming at first. I have tuned tons of hondas but had a hard time getting the gm stuff all sorted out.

For hardware my setup is a moates ostrich 2, socket booster, g1 24-28 pin adaptor and a cable1 for logging. All of that is from moates if that wasn't clear.

You will also need some sort of wideband oxygen sensor. My preference is the innovate LC-1. You have lots of options on that.

You will also need to download the $42 adx file and a .bin for what ever engine is in your truck.
carguy31

Post by carguy31 »

wow, thanks!
I have a couple more questions... can I change the tune in real time with the car on? and how many times can I reflash a chip?
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

Yes you can program while running using the ostrich. It is an EEPROM emulator meaning it plugs in like a chip and has a USB cable.

I can't really answer the chip question. I have never had one go bad due to programming too many times.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

A normal EEPROM chip can be re-written more times than you're likely to - a few hundred or more times.

The flash in the Ostrich/AutoProm can be rewritten 10,000 times or more.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
carguy31

Post by carguy31 »

Ok, so no worries about the chip ;p

as far as this:
g1 24-28 pin adaptor and a cable1 for logging

can I get some links please, and the ostrich2, is it a requirement if I do not need to tune in real time? if not what are other options here?
PhilStubbs

Post by PhilStubbs »

The ostrich is only for real time programming. It isn't a requirement but it will make your tuning go so much quicker.

http://www.moates.net/gm-obd1-pre1996-c-64.html

Pretty much everything you need is in that link. There is a lot of stuff in there that you don't need too. Just look for the stuff I listed. Also, when you look at the g1 adaptors, you don't need the grand national spacing.