New to tuning...Help!

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

jameslleary@comcast.net

New to tuning...Help!

Post by jameslleary@comcast.net »

Ok,
first off, my vehicle is a 1986 Chevy Suburban 5.7(350, LS9), Running TPI (730ecm), Recently installed 193 swirl port heads, and a compucam 260 camshaft. 700r4 Trans.
Last week, I purchased APU1, and have TunerproRT installed.

Wrenching with computers is new to me, and I dont Know where to start.

I have been somewhat successful with using the ALDL feature, though only my tps voltage shows up on the aldl dash(all 6 boxes).

What I would like to do for now, at least until I get a Laptop, is adjust my idle, so it is "cadillac" smooth, like an untouched factory TBI truck.
I was thinking of copying the timing info from a TBI truck PROM, or downloading one, and Adding it to my program........should be a good starting point until I figure everything out.

what I need is a kickstart for using this stuff......starting and ending addresses and such.
I think that I may have successfully programmed a chip today, using a BIN that I downloaded from Moates.net, But I think it may have VATS activated, and can`t figure out how to turn it off.
I need help! Instructions from step 1 would be greatly appreciated!
thanks!
Jim
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

so a TPI 350: L98 or something you built yourself?

it sounds like you are running on 8D.

as far as base tables to go off of: use either AXCS(automatic) or AXCN(manual) as starting points. they should be pretty good on what sounds like a worked over 350.
jameslleary@comcast.net

Thanks! The donor vehicle was an L98. The long block is basically an 87 to 95 TBI truck engine. I`ll give those bins a shot.
jameslleary@comcast.net

Ok, So, i have followed the provided instructions that came with my APU1 set. Also used the HELP section on Tunerpro RT, followed those directions (same as the "Getting Started" card with Moates) and have had no success in emulating. When I load a BIN, I can view it, using the yellow link on the tool bar, with the binary code on it.
The window title (on the blue top border bar) says the name of the bin that I have selected, And then / NO XDF SELECTED. Maybe I am blind, but, I did not see anything in the instructions about xdf files. The only XDF file that I can pull up, is the one that Mark provided, the 6E mask, for an 89 MAF car.
I have tried to copy and paste the 8D XDF files that I have found on the net(Moates and others), without success.
I can Use the ALDL function.
I can upload to Autoprom, but am unable to "Verify" (emulation menu)
I can Progrm chips, from the selected bin, But am unable to use the chips, as I can`t open the "Flags" to see if VATS is activated or not, Nor can I turn off the "Checksum"(AA)
I can turn a wrench pretty good, but this chip tuning is going to be tough to learn, and any help i can get will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
monkihead

Post by monkihead »

jameslleary@comcast.net wrote:Ok, So, i have followed the provided instructions that came with my APU1 set. Also used the HELP section on Tunerpro RT, followed those directions (same as the "Getting Started" card with Moates) and have had no success in emulating. When I load a BIN, I can view it, using the yellow link on the tool bar, with the binary code on it.
The window title (on the blue top border bar) says the name of the bin that I have selected, And then / NO XDF SELECTED. Maybe I am blind, but, I did not see anything in the instructions about xdf files. The only XDF file that I can pull up, is the one that Mark provided, the 6E mask, for an 89 MAF car.
I have tried to copy and paste the 8D XDF files that I have found on the net(Moates and others), without success.
I can Use the ALDL function.
I can upload to Autoprom, but am unable to "Verify" (emulation menu)
I can Progrm chips, from the selected bin, But am unable to use the chips, as I can`t open the "Flags" to see if VATS is activated or not, Nor can I turn off the "Checksum"(AA)
I can turn a wrench pretty good, but this chip tuning is going to be tough to learn, and any help i can get will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Have you tried the one in the tunerpro.net definitions download page?
I believe its the second one down on the list.

http://tunerpro.net/downloadBinDefs.htm