Can't seem to change values in bin file

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Frank_and_Beans

Can't seem to change values in bin file

Post by Frank_and_Beans »

Hey guys,

I'm new to Tunerpro, and to this site. I'm pretty familiar with hex and bins, etc.

I am working on an XDF file for a Honda OBDI P72 bin. I'm tired of using someone elses Honda bin editor which dumbs down the calibration process to the point where it is difficult to tell what items are actually being changed in the bin. The behind the scenes changes made by these bin editors (namely crome) create unwanted/unknown changes.

In any case, I am game with using Tunerpro, as it looks to be pretty powerful. I'm going to be using this purely for static bin editing - no RT required.

I have made an XDF which is fairly compreshensive, but am having some difficulties with actually editing the bin file.

For instance:

- I change a scalar value by some amount. A star appears in the editing window for that particular scalar. I then click save and the editing window closes for that scalar. The filename at the top of the screen then shows a star beside it. I press the "Save bin" button. The star beside the bin name disappears. So - at this point I'm thinking that my change has been saved. But, if I do a compare with the base bin, no changes are registered.

- I can make a change, save it, then restart Tunerpro, and the difference tool still shows no differences.

-I have tried making changes to both scalars and Tables. Same results.

-I started this process using V5. Thinking that maybe the beta was causing my problem, I downloaded 4.14. Same results.

-If I open the hex editor and manually change a value there and save the bin - the change is saved properly.

I am using Window 7 64 bit. I tried running the program in XP compatibility mode - same result.

Maybe I'm just missing something and should be doing it differently. Wouldn't be the first time. Any advice/tips/suggestions?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

It sounds like you are doing it right.

Any chance you have the XDF and BIN uploaded somewhere that can be accessed so that I can try it on my laptop, to verify?
Frank_and_Beans

Maybe you can PM me your email address and I can send it to you.
Frank_and_Beans

I un-installed Tunerpro and re-installed it on a different drive (partition). Looks like that fixed the problem. It is probably an issue with Windows 7, as items located in C:\program files seem to be protected. So, windows won't allow a saved bin in the program files directory? Strange, because I was referencing the bin from my partitioned drive...

In any case, looks like its working now.
Frank_and_Beans

Apparently I spoke too soon. It is not working anymore. Seemed like it worked the first time I opened the program after re-installing it, but now it won't.

Something very curious when I look at the log file for the changes I made:

Edit Log for jonp72ag.bin created by TunerPro.
02/08/2010 22:07:34 Scalar: VTEC DisEngage 4 changed from 4088.00 (0xC0) to 4088.00 (0xB3).
02/08/2010 22:10:32 Scalar: VTEC DisEngage 4 changed from 4088.00 (0xC0) to 4088.00 (0xB2).

The conversion for this value is "X*56-6664". So, why is the log registering the change in hex value, but not a corresponding change in engineering value? Maybe a bug of some sort?
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

Sounds like you need to copy your original bin to another file name and use that for comparison after you modify the bin file you're editing.
Frank_and_Beans

If I open a scaler, change the value, and press save, the scaler window closes. If I open up the same scaler window immediately, the value is back to original and not changed. So, I'm confused again.
dfddfd2

Post by dfddfd2 »

There was a problem editing scalars in the previous build. Try the most recent build 5197:
http://www.tunerpro.net/beta/tpbeta.htm
Frank_and_Beans

Already using 5197.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Pm'd
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

It's your incorrect/not set header info.

The bin size can't be "0000", it has to have a value large enough to have the entire bin inside the value.

I don't know how to set it properly, but I used a value from a known working XDF for a different car and was then able to save any changes made in the bin.
Last edited by Six_Shooter on Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Yes, that is a Datsun in my Avatar. :)
Frank_and_Beans

What address is the header info?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Frank_and_Beans wrote:What address is the header info?
Address?

Header info is part of the XDF, and contain information like the bin size, offset, author, and if wanted a description, alos a few other set-up items.
Frank_and_Beans

Cool, I changed the Header info to a bin size of 8000 and it works fine now.

Thanks a ton for the troubleshooting.

Seems strange that this number would prevent changes from being saved.