tuning on $42, confused.

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

89 IROC CONV

tuning on $42, confused.

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

hello , i am new to this and i was wondering. is there a place on the web that will describe . what the constants/scalars do for$42 also the tables. i say for $42 because they change according to the xdf file /bin your using . this would be very helpful for us newbies that dont know what changing what is doing to the engine. as in minimum mph for highway spark. wtf . these terms are very confusing. and they change according to the bin / xdf file you use .where oh where are the directions lol. somebody help please.
mark m
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

$42 is probably the most documented and well understood C3 ECM out there... that being said, i think you would have a LOT better luck asking the same question on TGO. hell, you might even find a few people there that hacked it.
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

well then would you mind telling me what min mph for highway spark means . is this the point where the timing is all in ? surely not!! at 30mph why dont they put this in terms that can be understood by those who havn't been machanics for 20 yrs. i dont have 20 yrs to ponder on there language i just want to tune my car. i figured sence this is the tunerpro discussion forum and im using xdf file's for tunerpro rt .someone HERE surely knows .other wise what good is the program. if it is so documented id like to know where i can find those document's thats what i was asking. im being to think its classified TOP secert. or maybe i need a different search engine .
mark m
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

though i seen your name before the xdf file ads file's im using says you are the AUTHOR. unless there are to robert saar.
mark m
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i've made a LOT of ADS files over a fairly short amount of time... less so with XDFs...

but i can usually answer things as they come up:

min MPH for highway spark means it's the absolute minimum MPH to allow the 'highway spark' routine, which adds spark based on the highway advance table in the XDF. there may also be a MAP based multiplier table as well, depending on the mask.
89 IROC CONV

Post by 89 IROC CONV »

thank you mr saar. i geuss i have a lot to learn if i can find the info needed to learn it. im just not really comfortable changing thing's around when i dont understand how they afect the engine. it sounds like to me this is the point where the centrifugal timing takes over. but i could be wrong. if anyone has any links for learning whats what in $42 . or a step by step for tuning the 747 i would app it.
mark m
jaber

Post by jaber »

I am also looking for the same information.
Does anyone have a glossary?
What is an LV8?
If some one has a list of the abbreviations and what they mean, that would be AWESOME!!!

If not, it would be the most beneficial addition to your site.

Thanks for reading.
Jeff.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

there are SO many things that could be explained/demystified... i have no idea where to start though.

LV8 is an indication of load. ranging from 0-255(or is it 1-256? oh well, not critical in this situation).

a larger number means a higher load. example being WOT at 1500 RPM in 5th gear. you'll probably get near the maximum possible number.

lower number meaning less load. say at 3K RPM in 3rd gear at 50MPH(lots of overrun for your average car). there is a LOT of vacuum, not a whole lot of air flowing and the engine isn't doing any work and is most likely in DFCO(deceleration fuel cut off).

LV8 is only used on MAF systems.