EFI Test Bench

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

EagleMark

EFI Test Bench

Post by EagleMark »

I have seen a test bench that was sold by a guy on ThirdGen and a picture of one on the Home page here at TunerPro.

Anyone know where to get one?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i was actually considering building one myself for a long time... but it depends on what ECM you want to play with... the older ones that only used a single crank sensor and no cam sensor were generally easy to deal with, just have to play with a 555 to adjust RPM, that kind of stuff...

for the newer PCMs, the ones that use multiple crank sensor signals, and cam sensors, that's a much bigger PITA, RBob of TGO proposed using a PIC since 555s are inherently less stable.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

I guess you need to be an electronics guy to know what a 555 and PIC are... right now I am useing a TBI intake, vacuum pump and a drill to run the distributor. I can check my rewired JY harness this way, they run at 1300 RPM and if all is well no codes are set. But that it about it's limit.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

another thought occurs... the megasquirt crowd has their "stimulator" to test MS ECMs... i have to wonder if you could adapt it to a GM ECM easily.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

I have been thinking the same thing. But havn't found time to look into it... all I do right now is TBI, TPI and MPFI. Just starting to play with the 16197427 as well...
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I am using a Jim Stim for my test bench and have been for a few years now.

Here are a few pictures:

I was comparing some things between a log I had on my laptop and testing using my PC:

Here is a close up, early on, before I got the dual monitors and cleaned up the Jim Stim a bit.

Since taking the above pictures I have made a few harnesses for different ECMs, that plug into the 36 pin plug on the Jim STim and have added a 25 Pin connector as well, for some things that the JIM Stim doesn't have connections for, like the ALDL, VSS (to be added) and a few other circuits that are not coming to me right now.

There's a few circuits I want to add to it, that I just haven't had time to build yet. Hopefully I'll get some time over the "holidays", to at least start the additions.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

WOW!! :D

You sir are haveing to much fun! Thanks for the information I am ordering a JimStim model.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Haha, not as much as I'd like...

Being back in school now limits my time quite a bit.

When I get a chance I'll take some pictures of my harnesses and how I have them laid out. It makes switching between different ECMs quite easy. I still need to it this all into a case or enclosure of some sort.

BTW, I ordered my JimStim from diyautotune.com
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Well I recived my JimStim in the mail yesterday. Now I need to find time to play! :D

I can see it would be handy to have spare ECM conectors with pigtails. Any other tips or tricks?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Give me a few days to take some pictures of my work in progress set up and that may give you some more ideas.

You'll likely find that the pots become less responsive or plainly fail over time. I have some better quality pots to replace mine, but haven't got around to that yet, that'll happen when I install it in a case too. lol

I'll be assembling some additional circuits for VSS and a couple others that I can't think of off hand right now.
rts91tsi

Post by rts91tsi »

EagleMark wrote:WOW!! :D

You sir are haveing to much fun! Thanks for the information I am ordering a JimStim model.
I agree! This is the type of simulator I have been searching for to make a test bench setup. Thanks!
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Well I did the JimStim thing and built it into an old ECM box, you can see it running an ECM in this picture. It was helpful but what I really like is the other setup with intake manifold, I can rewire and build an entire system on the bench, drill running distributor, vacuum pump on Map system runing off AutoPro Emulator and recording data on laptop. This way I know all is done right, all parts check out OK, bin is set to turn off things not on conversion engine like EGR etc... no codes set. before I even install it on a car. Saves a ton of time!

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Inject ... 1320981960
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
rts91tsi

Post by rts91tsi »

Pretty nice setup you have there!

It is awesome that such a tool exists and can facilitate a wide array of platforms, as well as its ability to aid in building custom setups!

I definitely have the necessary spare connectors and such, and even have a spare ECU case for an enclosure. More than likely, I will be using the wheel simulator to mimic the CAS from my 4g63 engine. That is provided I don't run into any of the issues that were brought to my attention, about doing so.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Back when the pioneers were trying to figure out what was in the ECM that control the modules unit and sensors the simulator was a necessity. Here's a picture of one made for GM ECM, no longer available. this one is on TunerPro author page:
http://tunerpro.net/

Here's the picture of the simulator
http://tunerpro.net/images/TestBench.jpg

I had learned a lot by using the JimStim with same added stuff to run GM ECM. But found it really was not needed anymore... but having a full system set up I can make a change in ECM and see what it does to data from system. Or make a change in ECM and see what it does to data from system. Or remove a part of system, or add a part to system, or try parts from other systems and see if they can be adjusted etc... for me it's a tool, not sure most people would need it if they only want to do their one car...

Anyway I do have way to much fun with this stuff! My wife complained a few years ago that I spend to much time with it, learning it, doing it... I then told here it is better than me going back to drinking because I was bored! She never once has complained again, but I also made sure to spend more time with her! :D
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

You're hooked now so here's more fuel for the fire.
There are some diagrams and such for the items I built my bench from.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/diy-p ... calcs.html
Pretty sure thats the link with the 555 stuff too.