TP5 Log save fail

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

vxl67getrag

TP5 Log save fail

Post by vxl67getrag »

Hi All,

First post!

I've been having an issue with tp5 for the last 4 times iv'e used each new version so I'm guessing it has to be something i've done wrong but this is what happens;

Not sure why my log’s won’t save to designated folder I want?
I have tp 5 set-up not in c:/program files, but just C:/TunerPro RT & then I want to save my log’s to D:/tunerpro/logs but it always redirects to D:/tunerpro/adx & ads’s so I change it to save in d:/tunerpro/logs & it says it can’t save there & will be saved in the temp folder which is; C:\Users\Custom Tuning\Documents\TunerPro Files & saves as temp.xdl I then have to fish it out of there & save in my logs folder & re-name it EVRYTIME. It say’s cannot overwrite, but there is no file with the same name in the folder I’m saving it to.

As the wording for tp5 when it fails will be critical here’s screen shots of exactly what is say’s.

Is there any way to make it save to a separate file than the adx folder(or folder the adx’s are loaded from)? & are I doing something wrong to not allow it to save the log in any directory I want, maybe I have to install the tp5 in C:/program files?

I can attach a screen shot of the error message that pops up, but not sure how to attach files on this forum.

It's an adx I've made for the VS L67 holden commodore, but it's not related to any adx or car it happens every single time!

Thanks VX L67 Getrag

EDIT: just in case you need to know I'm using it on windows 7 Enterprise
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

HELLO?

So does anybody have an idea why this would be happening?

Am I doing something wrong with the way I personally set it up or is it a bug?

Cheers VXL67 Getrag
cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

When you run tunerpro try right clicking on it and select run as administrator.
That will at least rule out any file system permission problems.
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Thanks for the reply!

I will do next log & see thank you!
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

O.K. Update,

I ran it as administrator & still the exact same message?

It's really weird but as I've already said I'm not sure if it's confused with the way I set it up as everytime I got to get an adx it opens the last folder I opened a bin or maybe log as I have an adx folder, a bin folder & a log folder.

Maybe TP5 won't allow me to save all these things in seperate places? & not in the C;program files folder especially it's in another partition to windows?

Any other help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks VX L67 Getrag
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Does anyone else have any advice or something to try as it is fairly annoying retrieving it from temp xdl & moving it every time!

Cheers vxl67getrag
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Once you are connected to data stream go to aqusition and then click record. When your done go to Aqusition then click Stop. It will open a windows type explorer window and you can choose anywhere you want to save the .xdl file.

Then you can go back to TunerPro and click Aqusition and export log file and save it as a excel type spreadsheet.
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Thanks for that glennEFI, but thats exactly the problem once finished recording I click stop & it ask's where I want to save it to & type in the name I want & it comes up with a window saying couldn't save it there so it is in the temp folder & then it come's up with another window after that saying couldn't open the xdl file where I just tried saving it to!

Sorry I didn't state the fact about how I was logging with record & stop but thought that was a bit obvious.

But please keep any other ideas coming. hoping Mark might now the reason for this?

Cheers vxl67getrag
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Bummer! I had some issues saving when I first started TPV5... when you start your computer and log in, are you the administrator? This could defiantly be why! If you are not Admin, your choices of where you can save files and make changes etc... are limited. HTH!
1990 Chevy Suburban

vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Yeah Thanks anyway, I am logged in as administrator.
I have been using it for some time & just putting up with it but as I'm getting more into it & using it more often it's just getting annoying!

If I don't here from anyone else before the next version comes out I might do a clean install & see how it goes!
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I'm having the same issue currently.

I know I had this on a previous install, but I don't recall what the fix was. :(
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

LMAO, yeah that was my sentiments exactly!

I know I had this problem a fair while ago but I can't remember what I did to fix it!
cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

I just had this happen to me this weekend. The difference for me was that I had loaded a modified ADX off of a USB stick. When I was done logging I got the same error. I think it was trying to save to the USB stick.
I will troubleshoot this a little more and see if I can figure out when it happens and why. I was in a hurry when it happened so I didn't look too closely.
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Great news(lol) well sort of, I have a feeling it's because I'm trying to save it to a different location to the adx's but even if I try & allow it to save to the adx folder as that's not in the same partition the program is installed on it still has the error saving to that location too!

Surely there has to be a way to allow them to save to a separate drive & have separate folders for each ADX's, XDF's & XDL's!
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Maybe? But the Data Tracing needs them in the same folder to work... maybe that's why now when I start a tune on a car I make a seperate folder for bin, xdf, adx and then save the xdl there!
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

The ADX, XDF and BIN do not need to be in the same folder for tracing to work. I have never had them in the same folder and have always had tracing work.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Six_Shooter wrote:The ADX, XDF and BIN do not need to be in the same folder for tracing to work. I have never had them in the same folder and have always had tracing work.
Strange! That is even what the instructions for TPV5 says unless I am misunderstanding them?
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I don't know why that is being said, other than for some people it makes it easier to find the matching files. For tracing to work, they do not need to be in the same folder.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

I beleive you man! I'll even try it...
1990 Chevy Suburban

robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

i've never had them in the same folder before, then again, the only time i've used them was to test someone else's problems with it.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Well tonight I did some testing, partly due to trying to find out why my laptop refused to connect to the datastream, after it shut off due to low power on the drive home from a meet tonight, while I was logging.

Anyway, I decided I would finally try a few things, after it would connect again.

I tried installing older versions, with no change in the saving issue. Every time the file would be saved as temp.xdl, in the Libraries > Documents > TunerPro Files folder. I went back as far as build version 4137.00.

I tried running in Compatablity mode of XP SP2 and XP SP3, I also tried setting to "run as administrator," with no glory.

I then tested with V4, and there was no issue there. Files would save where I wanted, named what I wanted.

I then tried removing TP V5, using the control panel, installing version 7431.00, but still saved to the temp.xdl file. :(

Hardware specs:
Lenovo R61i
Dual core 1.73GHz Intel
4GB ram installed (3 GB shows up in the system menu)
320 GB HDD
Windoze 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Tuner Pro V5 7431
Code $59, tried a few different $59 ADXs, with the same results.
I am using a TunerviewII, but since I can save using all the same hardware with V4, this should be a non-issue.

I'll try V5 7575 tomorrow.

That's all I can think of for now, if there's other info needed, let me know.
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Thanks for all that Six Shooter!

I have asked & forwarded Mark M the question & he said he's going to test it & if it's broken He'll fix it!

I will bump him on this message again as that's great work you've done as I think the last time I was able to do it was in version 4 too!
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I know I had an earlier version of V5 save fine, in fact I know I had a few earlier version of V5 work, so I don't know what's going on here.

I'm pretty sure the last time I had it working was with XP SP2, but I know I had experienced this same problem, then either a new install or a new version fixed it.

I didn't get a chance to try 7575 last night, hopefully tonight though.
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

I got it working! Image

This is what I did:

I uninstalled TunerPro RT, using the uninstall option in the Windoze start menu, in the Tuner Pro RT folder.

I then went into the Documents folder (C: > users >*Username* > My Documents, Or under the start menu in Win7, click on the Documents link at the right) Then I deleted the Tuner Pro RT folder found there.

I install V500.7575.00, now the log saving works.

There was probably a single corrupted file in that TunerPro RT folder that was causing the issue, but I figured just deleting that entire folder would answer the question anyway.

The only thing I found odd about this is that I didn't have to search for my registration file, when I opened TP RT again. I would have thought with removing and deleting as much as I did, that I would have had to install that file again.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The only file that could affect logging is the temp.xdl file. I'm dubious.

I still have to set up a test for the network (or second partition) scenario described here. That very well could be problematic.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

I've uninstalled by the drop down in start menu & got rid of all old files & re-loaded, but yet to plug into a car & try a log but hopefully all will be well!

On the other note of not having to re-loading the register file, I think the only way to delete that would be to go into the run program in start menu & type regedit & delete all old tp5 files there, but sometimes there even behind that too!

On another note is there a chance in the tp5 software we can get it to look for adx's & xdf's in different spots as I think there linked somewhere in the program?

Will keep you posted hopefully I can test tomorrow!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Adx and xdf files do not need to be co-located.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

The issue of logs failing to save when the attempt is made to save to a volume (drive) other than the volume that TunerPro is installed to is fixed for the next build. Look for it soon.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Way to go Mark!!! :D
1990 Chevy Suburban

Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

Ahhhh.....

I never tried to save to the C: drive....

Good catch. :)
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Mangus wrote:The issue of logs failing to save when the attempt is made to save to a volume (drive) other than the volume that TunerPro is installed to is fixed for the next build. Look for it soon.
While your doing this why don't you work up a little something to do OBDII flash stuff? Doesn't look that hard..... for me..... :shock:

Come on! Please? :D
1990 Chevy Suburban

vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

Thanks guys, as was discovered by Mark, after re-install it still had the log save issue to another directory/volume!

With th ADX & XDF being co-allocated I know they can but it seems when I open bin it goes to last opened folder for bins, then when I go to XDF it goes to the last known folder for XDF's, but then when I go to acquisition & load a file it doesn't remember where I opened the last adx file from it goes to what was opened last either the xdf or bin folder?

Can this also be fixed?

Can't wait for the next update, it's all looking good Mark!!!
vxl67getrag

Post by vxl67getrag »

AWESOME WORK!

Now all fixed with saving log files to a separate directory!

The only other thing is can the log's & adx's be allowed to save to different locations?

ie; if I load a definition & then log & go to save log it automatically tries to save where i got the adx from & then if I save to a different folder & then go to get a different adx it tries to open it from where I saved the log.

This used to sometime happen when opening bins & xdf's but now this is fixed so I'm guessing it can be done for the log & adx files?

ALL LOOKING GOOD! GREAT WORK!