TP pauses while recording log

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

cmaje72

TP pauses while recording log

Post by cmaje72 »

I am having an issue when recording logs with TP. I can connect and monitor the stream just fine and drive around with no problems. As soon as I hit the record button I will get occasional pauses in the datastream (no errors indicated). I see this in the log playback too.
What I noticed is that these pauses seem to happen when there is disk access. IE the HD light will flash, TP will pause, HD light flashes again TP picks up again. I am running Windows 7 Pro. The laptop is a dual core IBM thinkpad that is only a couple years old. Should be plenty fast enough to run this. I am using the $DA2 defintion I got from Robert Saar. It has the pauses in it.

Anyone experienced this? It does not happen when recording logs with datamaster with all the same hardware.

Now that I just typed this all out something popped into my head. I wonder if my AV scanner has anything to do with it. Anyone know where TP writes its log file to before the save so I can exclude it from real time scanning?
cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Turned AV off, no change. Different ALDL cable, no change. Can't find any hardware memory/IRQ conflicts. Back to the drawing board.
cmaje72

Post by cmaje72 »

Finally figured this out. If anyone out there is using an IBM thinkpad made in about the last 5 or so years there is a piece of software installed called thinkvantage active protection. Apparently there is some sort of motion sensor installed in some of these laptops that this software monitors.
When it senses some motion that it thinks may hurt your hard drive it parks the heads on your hard drive until the sensor gives the all clear. This causes TP to pause for as long as the heads are parked.

Go in the windows control panel and shut it off. No more pauses in my logs.
EagleMark

Post by EagleMark »

Glad you got your problem worked out and thanks for sharing the answer.

I have a HP laptop with windows 7 and experianced this before but not enough or regular enough to even look into the issue, I just wrote it off as a conection issue while driving. Least now if it happens again I can look into HP and see if they have a simalar system...
1990 Chevy Suburban
1994 Buick RoadMaSSter Estate Wagon LT1.
1972 IH 1210 Isky Cammed Balenced 345 TBI

GearHead-EFI.com EFI Conversions and Chip Tuners!