Chevy 3500 not shifting into 4th gear.

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

n01tk

Chevy 3500 not shifting into 4th gear.

Post by n01tk »

My truck has become terrible on fuel. Noticed vechicle not shifting into overdrive (4th) and the lock-up torque converter is not active? What can I look at to try and troubleshoot this problem? A flowsheet would come in handy. Thanks for any help.
1995 Chevy 3500 deully dump truck
ECU 7427
MASK $31
31.xdf, 31.ads
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

do any type of trouble codes get set?
n01tk

Troubleshooting odes

Post by n01tk »

I acidently cleared all the codes when I took the neg. battery cable off while taking out my ECU. i will have to drive the truck and check for codes. One point I should mention, there was no check engine light on at any time previous to clearing the codes.
I did do some investigating and found the overdrive comes off when the brake pedal is depressed. So if for some reason that input is active all the time, it will not permit the truck to shift into OD. I am looking into this avenue. Thanks for the reply.
1995 Chevy 3500 deully dump truck
ECU 7427
MASK $31
31.xdf, 31.ads
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

ah, i have had the same issue in a few cars before, i just added a couple layers of tape near the top of the brake pedal to allow forthe switch to funtion correctly.

that should only prevent TCC lockup though, it should still shift into 4th.