File updates/saves fail if don't Run as Adminstrator

Report bugs found in TunerPro. Please be sure to include as much info as possible, including system specs, OS, repro steps and TunerPro version number.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

toliphint

File updates/saves fail if don't Run as Adminstrator

Post by toliphint »

Hi Guys --------
TP5 RT Ver 7686, Win 7 64 bit Home Prem, SP1

FYI -- Something really strange. I recently posted (Subject=Changes to ADX File Not Saved) that changes to my Dashboard were not reflected in the viewed Dashboard. What I’ve now figured out is that this occurs if TP is NOT run as administrator. If “Run as Administrator”, all is OK. Also, if NOT run as administrator, get message that cannot save log files and xdf files.

This is on a system that has had no permission changes or user changes in forever – unless a Windows update changed something under the covers. It just started haoopening. I checked the Permissions (Properties/Security/Advanced/Owner) and saw that the Owner was Administrator (which I am). Changed to my User name (also an Administrator) and same problem.

Uninstalled TP and reinstalled today and same problem. Must Run as Administrator to have things work right. I don’t mind doing that, but it’s frustrating if I forget and then can’t save my work.

Any ideas? Thanks!!!

Also a couple of other nit items FYI:
1. Unable to save a custom color (even if Run as Adminstrator)-Select color, click ‘Save to custom colors’ and OK. Color is applied to Dashboard, but if reenter color map, color is not saved as a 'Custom color'. Am I not doing this right?
2. Shortcut command for ‘Save XDF’ in XDF dropdown is shown as ‘Ctrl + T’. This command brings up the ‘Select Compare Bins’ window for me.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

You needn't run as admin unless you're saving to protected locations such as the program files directory, windows directory, or root of the system drive.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
toliphint

Post by toliphint »

Mark ------
Thanks. OK that explains it, but still need some clarification. Is it possible that TP V4 installed the user folders in the Program Files (x86) folder? Can’t remember, but that’s where mine are after upgrading to V5.

I guess I need to move them to the My Documents folder where the TP5 user files are now located, right?
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

toliphint wrote:Mark ------
Thanks. OK that explains it, but still need some clarification. Is it possible that TP V4 installed the user folders in the Program Files (x86) folder? Can’t remember, but that’s where mine are after upgrading to V5.

I guess I need to move them to the My Documents folder where the TP5 user files are now located, right?
Indeed, TP4 did install the files in the program files directory. V5 installs them to the documents\tunerpro files\ directory.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
toliphint

Post by toliphint »

Moved & Thanks!!!