I just don't get it

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

tinmover

I just don't get it

Post by tinmover »

I stumbled across this site by accident and started to read about TunerPro and its capabilities. I then went into this forum and tried to figure it out by reading all of your posts. I think I have read just about every post on this board and have come to a couple of conclusions, I still don't understand what exactly this program does and compared to you guys, I am way outta my league. Y'all are talking about burning EPROMS and buying burning equipment (I do know what an Eprom is so I have that going for me) and the more I read the more confused I am.

Here's what I know, you need the ALDS and OBD1 adapters to run this program, I even think I have a handle on the definitions and ECM #s you guys talk about. But when I do hook this up to my 86 Vette am I going to be just monitoring my cars vital signs or can I make changes to my car stock chip with just the basics or do I need all that stuff you guys talk about i.e. chip, burning stuff, etc?

Could someone explain to me what I can do with the bare minimum?

Thanks,
Mike
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hi Tim -

Your '86 Vette uses the 1227165 ECM. It has the $32 code mask "installed" into that ECM.

You can use TunerPro free to simply edit the bin (the "operating system") and burn the result to a new chip and install that chip into your ECM.

You can use TunerPro RT to monitor the ALDL datastream (using an OBDI interface available from various sources).

- Download TunerPro (Free or RT)
- Download the definitions you need (32.ECU is here:
http://www.supportfitness.com/mark/tune ... efs/32.ecu
and the ADS file you need to monitor the ALDL stream is included in the TunerPro install - 1227165_160baud.ads).
- Download a bin to play around with. $32 bins can be downloaded here:
ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib ... E%2094/32/

Play around! Read the TunerPro help file (help menu).

Read around here (especially the stickies up top):
http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/forumdi ... forumid=16

Hope this helps!

Mark
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
tinmover

Post by tinmover »

Mark,

Thanks for the reply and making sure I'm using the right definitions. I spent most of yesterday reading up on TunerPro and I think I have a better understanding of it. I did read someone's post that recommended becoming very familiar with the program and its data before venturing into the chip burning side. So I ordered the cables from Moates and will play around with it. I'm sure I'll be back with even more ridiculous questions. Thanks again
Poida

Post by Poida »

tinmover, if you also order the G1 adapter package and the chip burner you can fiddle till your hearts content and not be concerned about losing the original factory program data for your engine. You get two flash chips to program (no having to erase eproms with UV erasers). It's not an expensive investment when you look at what you get and what you can do with it.