Can this be done?

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

Uberprutser

Can this be done?

Post by Uberprutser »

While browsing the interweb researching options on how to install fuel injection systems on old carburetor cars I stumbled onto TunerPro.
Seeing that TunerPro can reprogram the original ecu I'm wondering if I could use a injection system of a "modern" car and use it on my "old" carburetor car.
I allready have a Motronic M1.7 (Alfa 155 2.0 ts) injection system laying about and It would be great I I could use it on my old Matra Murena 1.6 engine.
Of course there are some features like twinspark and camshaft timing advance that will not be used on the Matra so these will probably need to be disabled.
And I would need to make in inlet manifold and hookup a missing tooth sprocket.
But what do You think would such a project be feasible?
If not with the gear then perhaps with another donor car.
festy

Post by festy »

The M1.7 wouldn't be the easiest ECU to do this with, but it's certainly possible.
I've been working on the Alfa Motronic ECUs for a while now and although I've got a basic XDF together for the 155 TS's main tables of interest, I haven't even started working on things like DTC masking etc for this ECU yet.

There's very few people who would be able to assist you with an M1.7 conversion (end even less that would do it without payment) - I'd recommend using something with better support and information like an older GM/Delco ECU, it will be a lot easier.
Uberprutser

Post by Uberprutser »

Thank you for the reply.
I now think such a project would be a bit too much for my skill set. But it's good to know that it is a possibility.
Unfortunately getting a GM or US Ford donor would be hard to do here in Europe.
For now I going to amuse myself getting my Alfa 2.0 ts engine running on a test setup and after that I'm planing to install it into my Matra Murena shell.

festy

Post by festy »

Fitting the TS engine would avoid most of the potential problems with using the M1.7, and the immobilizer can be disabled if you don't want to fit the code box etc.

If you really wanted to FI your original 1.6 engine though, an older Alfa Motronic ECU like the 0.261.200.124 from a 75 1.6/1.8 IE would be a good candidate, or even a 0.261.200.108 from a 75/early 164 TS.
Uberprutser

Post by Uberprutser »

I got more then one Murena so fitting F.I. to the original engine is still on my to do list.
But for now most of my time will be spent mating the TS to the Murena shell. Lots of fabricating and cables to sort out.
Speaking of cables do you have any idea if the m1.7 will work without the gas fumes recovery system? My engine came out of a 94 series one so I don't think it has the Alfa code immobilizer.
Finding a 75 donor vehicle will be near to impossible they are almost extinct but I did see a 164 at a local scrapyard. I think it was an early one since it had two distributors.