Beginner help - BMW DME 405

Discuss Bosch (Porsche, BMW, Volvo, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

mstrakl

Beginner help - BMW DME 405

Post by mstrakl »

Hi, am I Mike, from Slovenia. I am beginning my journey in the world of tuning (at least I would like to). So far, I have very little experience in tuning (MOTEC standalone on KTM engine for Formula SAE racecar). It was a school project, and I only partially participated, I did not to complete tuning myself. So for the next step, I have got myself a e34 525i NV 1991. I am planing on stroking it, but before that, I would like to get to know more about proper mapping, in order to successfully write custom map for stroked engine, when it will be built.
I have EEPROM burner and reader, LC-2 wideband O2 and some blank chips too (27C512). So to begin with I would like to make some simple changes in my map, maybe to boost power a little on stock engine (no need for dramatic changes - mybe some playing with Ignition and Fuelin?) I have managed to read stock EEPROM, and got it to work with TunerPro anlog with proper XDF - for 405 dme.

I don't know where to start tuning, first if someone could maybe explain what the values in tuner pro are. I understand what ignition in BTDC is and, RPM; but here are my two first questions? - what unis is load in, and how should i read it? Greater number - more load? And by load is that throttle position of mass air flow?

Also fueling number? Is that number anyhow proportional to injector pulse width for each cycle? Am I correctly understanding this?

Also, should I unplugg stock O2 while tuning, or should I disable it in map? If so, where can I fand O2 correction maps?

There is so much of everything I don't know were to start, so please if anyone is prepared to help me at the beginning, I will probably start to learn quick. And please don't tell me to abandon everything, and that I am going to destroy everything. I am here to learn, and the car is not daily driver, so its not life and death if is will be out of service for few days in case of any map related trouble.

Thank you,
Best regards
Mike
aboutton

Post by aboutton »

contact me by email i'll help you
HyperBoost Tuning
Tony Ouneissy
Lebanon
Brian Shor

Post by Brian Shor »

Start Simple:
* Use AFR converted tables for fuel
* Assess the stock maps and note how much richer the retarded fuel maps are over the advanced, so when making changes to one you can think about the changes to other.
* install a reliable wide-band AFR monitor
* remember gas gives most power at around 12.7 AFR but generates lots of heat so you need to understand your engine to know when to give more for cooling and detonation potential reduction and also where to be efficient.
* being a somewhat novice ask other tuners or do trial and error to understand the AFRs that give good torque.
* Note also the how much the stock retarded ignition maps are retarded compared to the advance maps so when making changes in one you'll have an idea what changes are needed in other
* expect the AFRs to change slightly when adjusting ignition and you may have to adjust fuel accordingly.
* use stethoscope or other knock listening device when tuning to be on safe side.
mstrakl

Post by mstrakl »

Thank you, that is wonderful for start!

So far I have measured AFR with my Innovate LC-2 wideband AFR probe, I believe it's more or less trustworthy. For now, I really haven't done any changes yet, only measurements, because it's probably better for novice to start with emulation hardware (such as Ostrich Moates) - it gives me map tracing, which is major help when making changes, and much better than just making blind guesses what to change.

So I will start serious work, once I get my hands on Ostrich Emulation hardware, and I will follow general rules and your guides on AFR tuning, and once I get AFR spot on, only then I will begin to advance ignition. I am also preparing an EGT probe, which will probably also help.

I will get back to you as soon, as there is any progres.

Thank you all for now,
regards Mike
mstrakl

Post by mstrakl »

Here is me, with my first problem.

Can anyone help me with ROM tracing with Tuner Pro RT and Moates Ostrich 2.0. ? I have bmw 405 ecu, i suppose i neeed ADX file for it?

Anyone done that?
mstrakl

Post by mstrakl »

Solved. I had wrong XDF.
mstrakl

Post by mstrakl »

I am having problem with idle tuning, I can't get stable idle. My cams are stock, engine setup is M50 block and head, M54 rotary setup, everything else M50NV stock. ECU 403.

Car by itself always wants to idle around AFR 16, at 650 rpm. No matter what i try, with lambda or without, when I finish tuning, and put lambda back it goes back to AFR 16, sometimes even 17. At that AFR it is vibrating like hell.

Interesting thing is, that my idle was bad already before on stock engine (M50 2.5 L), I have replaced lambda sensor, and there was no improvement.

Any ideas? I have tried raising idle RPM, but 403 xdf does not cover idle rpm. I tried adding it myseld (and rom tracing confirmed, that my address is correct). What is factor for idle RPM conversion, is it x*10?

When i tried changing these value, ECU didn't respond propely, sometimes it changed idle to 1500 RPM, then it stalled, never really did anything even close to what i have written. Even at stock map, ROM tracing claims that it is at RPM (for example) 1040, but really it is around 700. Ideas?

Thankyou.