HELP !!! new user kills 2 ecu's

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

944-V8

HELP !!! new user kills 2 ecu's

Post by 944-V8 »

Help: I took 2 diff files that could be programmed in to an ecu with winflash and changed 1 function in each.
1) turned off vat saved file
next file
2)changed injector constant from 30 to 29.99 saved file

I programmed each ecu at diff times . THe program finished and said ecu reset. I disconnected the battery in both cases. These were the only changes to files that programmed before modification with tunerpro free.
I can not talk to either ecu now with any program. Can't start a comm session.
Both ecu's run in the car.
both are 95 lt1 xxxxx051 ecu's
Can't tell if the car is running right because I can't monitor with anything
Can anyone tell me how to talk to these guys again or do I have to have the flashes removed and programmed externally ?
Thanks
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

What XDF did you use to modify your bin?

So you can't reflash to the stock bin? If so, it sounds like your original flashes failed.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
944-V8

Post by 944-V8 »

I used EE.xdf. I brought in a file that was running in the car but had an injector constant of 30# I changed that value to 22#.I then did a compare of the files.The only diff was the change made and location 2016. I thoght the 2016 might be a crc location because it was not associated with anything in the editor. I scrolled down through most of the values using the ee xdf and everthing looked reasonable,so I flashed it.Car ran but no comm link.Does you software support the 94/95/lt1----051 ecu.Do you have a EE file that works ?I agree after much research I must have used the wrong file but nothing ran any flags up to alert me.I have since removed the roms and reprogramed them with working code.I would still like to know if you have a solution or not.
Thank You
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

EE.xdf is the right file. Yes, TunerPro supports editing EE.

I just tested this and I do see the difference at 2016, and it is indeed the checksum.

Although it's not necessary in this case, did you disable the checksum by changing the mask ID byte to AA? I wonder if the checksum is incorrect.

What are you using to get a communications link with the car?
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

I think I foudn the problem. That EE.xdf doesn't have the second checksum range (EE and EEB have two checksum ranges).

However, I'm not sure an invalid checksum would cause lack of communication. (Hopefully not!)
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
944-V8

Post by 944-V8 »

I did not disable chk sum. I'm using a stadard cable like the akam device.It works with all software until I reprogram as above.I see no reason the 2nd chk sum would prevent comm.It might prevent some software from reading or writing the eeprom but not just starting a comm session. Of course once it is broken you need to remove roms and flash an image file--PITA.
Also since I have not had much luck with TP does it save the log file like Datamaster does.I saw a discussion about a log viewer here.It appears that that viewer and the log file would look very close to DM.Is this true ?
Thanks
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Mangus wrote:I think I foudn the problem. That EE.xdf doesn't have the second checksum range (EE and EEB have two checksum ranges).

However, I'm not sure an invalid checksum would cause lack of communication. (Hopefully not!)
Actually, I"m wrong about this. The region you edited doesn't affect the second checksum, so that's not the issue.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro can't log EE/EEB yet. That's coming in the next release. If you're lucky enough to get it to connect, yes, it will save a log file.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
96HawkCnvt

Post by 96HawkCnvt »

Mangus wrote:TunerPro can't log EE/EEB yet. That's coming in the next release. If you're lucky enough to get it to connect, yes, it will save a log file.
Mangus,

I'm anxious to log EE/EEB with TP. Any thoughts on when the next release will be available. And thanks for a great program :D

Todd
Todd Danielson
Track Time Motorsports, LLC
'96 Firehawk Convertible
'93 Z28
'94 Z28
'93 TPI Suburban
'04 Yukon
'06 Accord V6, 6spd Sedan