New blown 928 engine, help!!

Discuss anything tuning related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

b.shaw

New blown 928 engine, help!!

Post by b.shaw »

The subject is a 1984 Porsche 928 5.0L v8 with a Vortech supercharger controlled by a GM1227749 ECM. I ran a similar configuration for several years and many track hours, it was running pretty well until I lost compression in 2 holes last fall. This spring I built a new engine... bigger throttle body, bigger cams, extrude honed heads, bigger injectors, headers, 3.5" single exhaust.

It's starting and idling pretty well right now, revs like crazy when I blip the throttle at a stand still, but when I open the throttle while rolling it goes lean and starts coughing. If I back out and use a couple percent tps it will accelerate but goes lean with more throttle and coughs and bucks if I give it much more.

I've increased the fuel (globally increasing base ve vs map vs rpm table) until it's real rich at idle, puffs a cloud of unburned fuel when I rev it, no real change in behavior. I've increased PE related fuel a couple of times without improvement.

Where should I be looking to fix this? Am I in the right area tweaking the PE tables? Any assistance would be appreciated, I'm relatively new at tuning. I posted a scan at:

http://home.comcast.net/~p-928/rob-3.adl

It's kind of big (400k or so) with several easy passes through the gears
and quite a bit of more or less steady state driving.

Thanks,

Bill
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hi Bill -

Sorry for the lack of reply. This question might get more visibility over ont he Thirdgen.org DIY-PROM forum. There are lots of people there who can help you.

-M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am