1987 Coupe Deville

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

Dave S(Texas)

1987 Coupe Deville

Post by Dave S(Texas) »

Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I have a '87 Coupe Deville with fewer than 100K milles and I do my own work. I understand the OBD system the car has and it is a big asset. It will be a big help if this software program works for me. I intend to load the program to my new laptop(WinXP Pro) and want to make positive sure I won't have any problems. I'm a good mechanic, but not so good at pc stuff. The screenshots I've looked at are exactly what I've been looking for. Although the dash display is good, it's not too user friendly...too much jumping in/out of the car. I'm old/decrepit but get by ok. So all I need is one of the versions of the program and a ALDL cable>>>right?
Which version do I use? Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Dave
Dave S(Texas)

Post by Dave S(Texas) »

Did I post in the wrong place/group??
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Hi Dave -

This forum is the right place to post your question, but keep in mind that it doesn't see huge amounts of traffic.

The first thing we'd need to determine is what ECM is installed in the car. Please supply the ECM part #. It also helps to know what engine is in the car. This information will determine if there is a definition available for your vehicle.

Thanks!

-M
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Dave S(Texas)

Post by Dave S(Texas) »

This car is and '87 Coupe DeVille, FWD, 4.1L DFI V-8. The ECM is, most likely a genric so it can be used on different models. The ECM has a PROM and CALPAK. Getting to the unit and removing it is not something I care to do. It ain't broke so I ain't gonna fool with it. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Dave S(Texas) wrote:This car is and '87 Coupe DeVille, FWD, 4.1L DFI V-8. The ECM is, most likely a genric so it can be used on different models. The ECM has a PROM and CALPAK. Getting to the unit and removing it is not something I care to do. It ain't broke so I ain't gonna fool with it. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
The good news is that, if it ain't broke, it sounds like you have no need for help anyhow. I don't have any information on a GM 4.1L V8.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
Dave S(Texas)

Post by Dave S(Texas) »

So, back to my question: will one of the versions of the software work for me? I don't know what definitions you are talking about? I just want a real-time read-out of the OBD system. Thanks!