1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Vin 3 3.8

Discuss General Motors (GMC, Chevy, Pontiac, Hummer, Cadillac, etc) tuning topics here. Request definitions, discuss parameters, etc.

Moderators: robertisaar, dex

zombieczar

1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Vin 3 3.8

Post by zombieczar »

1987 olds
Delta 88 Royal
FWD V6 3.8L
Computer (ECM) 7-7783
Prom (Bios Chip) Delco AKBA 1303
CalPak (CMOS) 16036495
(2) 8641
EIM (Distributar/Coil) 4249 9j13 6734

Scenario:
I was blowing smoke randomly, so I compress test and got a problem on a head, remove, machine and repair head, Now the dam thing does nothing but turn over.. no spark, no injectors clicking... fuel pressure good.. voltage good...

I jumped AB to get error codes.. nothing but 12(Diag Mode) and the radiotor cooling fan runs..

I got cable usb to odb GM, I can read maf and crap with the a- 10kOhm -b but I haven't aquired revs, spark or anything actually usefull... no codes of course but of the array softwares to use it seems they all glaze over the vin #8 type 3 3.8V6

I replaced the prom... no change I pulled sensor plugs.. no change, no codes

why can't I get a dam error code!?!?!?!?!?
the dam thing thinks it's fine.. I wonder if it would notice if it were on fire...

I have ordered a new calpak, eim and computer thats about 400$ in crap, I had to replace 4 years ago... WTF!?!?!?!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Trouble codes are not the only indication that something is wrong. From the computer's perspective, the information that it has access to might be within bounds, but something mechanical is wrong with the engine. If you're seeing blowby, for isntance, the computer might still be delivering the right emount of fuel to the cylinder, and the cylinder might be firing just enough of the fuel that the mixture isn't off by too much, so no codes, but you still have a very weak cylinder.

It sounds like be attacking the problem the wrong way.

Now, with that said, I've never heard of the ECM part # you list, nor am I familiar with the engine (or car).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
zombieczar

Post by zombieczar »

your right..

well, it was a sensor, and it broke in such a way he ecs would have never seen it...

the center tine holds a magnet, as the ground ie negetive fins on the balancer whip by it produces a type of AC (electric) current that the comp reads for revs and such.. the center tine was gone, no mag no AC . circuit was fine..

is there a way to elicit code numbers off this thing?

I have everything reading and I have a list of codes.. I can whatch maf rev spark everything, but no codes...
fastblue231

Post by fastblue231 »

I am very farmilliar with this engine by fact I have an 86 Delta 88 3.8
vin 3. I did work on a 93 3300 where the crank sensor was going out. It would run for 30 min or so and then die. No spark, No injector click. You had to wait about 15 min or so before it would fire up again but it would die again sooner or later.
No codes, No idea all three of us (all GM fanatics one who used to own a garage one a retired mechanic and one a electrician) were stumped. We replaced the computer ($100) the ignition module ($120) nothing worked. Finally the retired mechantic called one of his mechanic buddies who said sounds like the crank position sensor to me. And sure enough it was. Computers, especialy of the era and level that we work with are excellet at determining problems but they can not determine all problems. That was a costly lesson for us.