87 GN - trying to get started!

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

NOTACARLO

87 GN - trying to get started!

Post by NOTACARLO »

I have an 87 GN with MAFTPRO and extender/pro chip. I downloaded the newest version of Tuner Pro to try out. So far with the features, I am impressed - beats the heck out of the Gen II SnapOn Scanner.

The issues I am having are as follows.

1.) I connected with the ECM once...tried it again after dinner and can't get it any more. I checked the com ports and it hooks up to the MAFTPRO just fine every time. Just no ECM. I did get it set up for logging/monitoring and even recorded some idle diagnostics. I can't any more for some reason.

2.) trying to retrieve the bin file from MAFTPRO and I get the dreaded error: FAILURE: Bin is larger than emulation RAM! Perhaps you meant to use bank 8? - I did a search on this and it seems there is a fix...not that I can find.

I am just learning this software and I am patient. I just wanted to get some questions out there to try and shave some time off of the ol' learning curve.

Here's the rub.....ready?.......WINDOWS VISTA!! with plenty of room for information and what I like to call the "uber-processor". Are there any issues with Vista and this software that anyone is aware of?

Thanks,

Dan

ps. it's the RT software that I WILL donate for as soon as I get this figured out.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

TunerPro works fine on Vista, with the exception of file association (i.e. double clicking on a bin does not open in TunerPro). I'll fix that in a future release.

The bin file larger than emulation RAM - is your definition (XDF) correct? You neeed to have a correct definition open in order to download a bin from the device.
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
NOTACARLO

Post by NOTACARLO »

Tpro4400.xdf is the one I have. There's also a 6E.xdf - not sure what that is.

I had changed some of the values in the Constants/Scalers to mimic those in the MaftPro and all hell broke loose. Guess I wasn't supposed to do that. When I told it 6 cyl., 3.80 liter - the car died and wouldn't restart. Then I checked the MafTpro and it said 1550 cyls., 10.5 liters! - I wish. That would be a loooong hood.
I set everything back the way it was it started up fine. My big issue at the moment is not being able to get data from the ecm. I had it, but like I said...I then lost it.

Thanks,

Dan
1987 Buick Regal Grand National, GT6131, Big Fuel, alky, MAFT-Pro, Running low on rubber.
Mangus
TunerPro Author

Post by Mangus »

Don't use the 6E.xdf. That is for a completely different vehicle. Stick with the definition for the MTPro.

Talking to the ECM takes a different definition (and hardware) than talking to the MAFTPro.

To talk to the MAFTPro using TunerPro, consult the documentation for it (or the write-up by a fellow user on the fullthrottle forums).
TunerPro Author
1989 Trans Am
NOTACARLO

Post by NOTACARLO »

Thanks Mangus, I got the files I needed. The only thing now is that my TPS reads 0.00 all the time. A fellow user from Full Throttle thinks it may just be the connection/splice for the MAFTPRO.

Thanks for making this software avaliable, it is invaluable.
1987 Buick Regal Grand National, GT6131, Big Fuel, alky, MAFT-Pro, Running low on rubber.
turbobob924

RE 87 Buick GN

Post by turbobob924 »

I have similar situation and frustration.
Watching for help