Tuner Pro Engine RPM 6350 Constantly

Discuss anything TunerPro related.

Moderators: Mangus, robertisaar, dex

tonygia

Tuner Pro Engine RPM 6350 Constantly

Post by tonygia »

I am running a 1990, GTA Trans Am, 350ci with a Tremec T56. I am using autoprom programmer to datalog. My problem is that the engine rpm is stuck at 6350. My car tach. reads the proper rpms. I suspect the programmer is not allowing me to modify the program as it is thinking the engine is running at 6350 rpm. Is there something in the program that might be causing this? My ecm is 1227730 and I am using $8D.xdf, 122730_8.ads and AUJP 8D.bin.

I have a hypertech chip that ran the old 5.0L engine that was in the car. I pulled the program from that, modified it to suit the new engine and tried to run it, but still had the same engine rpm issue.

The programming of this new engine/tranny setup is the last item required to completed the power train. It's been 6 years in the garage to get this cars to this point. I really would like some help on determining what is the likely problem here. If anyone has heard of anything like this, please share your story and hopefully your solution.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

send your ADS or ADX that you're using to

robertisaar at yahoo dot com

i'll see what i can make of it.

send the ADL or XDL as well so i do a little more testing if necessary.
tonygia

Idle Relearn

Post by tonygia »

Any chance you have a procedure for :Idle Relearn"?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

brought to you via w-body.com

1. Reset ECM by pulling ECM fuse (underhood) for a few seconds.
2. With A/C turned off, start car and immediately put it in Drive with your foot on the brake.
3. If the car does not start initially, keep trying WITHOUT putting your foot on the accelerator.
4. Let the car idle in gear for at least 5 and no more than 7 minutes.
5. Shut off the car for 10 seconds.
6. Start engine, place in drive and let idle for 5 minutes.
7. Shut off engine.
8. Idle is learned.

there is also a variation of it if you have A/C, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
tonygia

Post by tonygia »

What if it is a manual transmission? Do I put it into 1st gear and let it idle?
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

are you still running the TPI setup?
Six_Shooter

Post by Six_Shooter »

There is no idle relearn procedure for a manual transimmision equipped vehicle, and in my past experiance with vehicles that "need idle re-learn" I have to question exactly what this procedure does.
robertisaar
Author of Defs

Post by robertisaar »

idle relearn sets the correct IAC Minimum position value. a lot of the factory tunes are WAY short of where they are supposed to be:

EX: my wife's GP was set to 18 from the factory, but would want to stall slowing down, or shifting out of park. with the idle relearn, it went to 28, idled much better and didn't stall.

there is a value to set it so that it's always at that minimum.

but for the TPI setup, you have to phsically adjust what i'm assuming to be a set-screw. i have the procedure for it, but have never had to do it myself.
JP86SS

Post by JP86SS »

This is the only thing I've ever needed to do.
http://www.thirdgen.org/tpimod2

Not sure how it is done with the manual though.
You want to have a minimum of "steps" when at idle so the IAC has plenty of room to be able to open and make the RPM higher if needed but if it closes too much or all the way will not cause stalling issues.
Basically, let it increase speed as it wants but limit the amount it can lower the RPM.

The RPM reading "should" indicate if your definition is set to read word 10 of the datastream. Should be set for 8 bit reading and scaled for 6400.
The conversion is X/25